- Year of Call
Hugh has extensive experience acting for Local Authorities, parents, grandparents, Guardians and proposed special guardians in care proceedings, including representing young and vulnerable parents, clients with learning difficulties and clients with chronic health conditions.
- Acting for Local Authority in lengthy fact find to determine the cause of significant injures suffered by a baby.
- Acting for Local Authority in case involving learning disabled parents who were able to provide good enough care to their children some, but not all of the time.
- Acting for father in fact find involving allegations of substantial physical abuse of a toddler used as a decoy in drug dealing.
Hugh regularly acts for parents, grandparents and Guardians in Private Law Matters. He is familiar with the problems that parents, grandparents and their children have in this difficult litigation. In particular Hugh has experience of cases where one parent is seeking to alienate the children from the other.
- Acting for parent in dispute over which private school children should attend and where and when they should take their holidays.
- Acting for father whose two children were moved to a different area of the country by their mother who alleged domestic abuse. Children were returned to the care of the father.
- Acting for Guardian in case where the child suffered injuries whilst in the care of each of its parents. Each parent claimed the other parent had deliberately caused the injuries suffered whilst in that parent’s cases and fabricated the other set of injuries. The case was notable due to the religious beliefs of the parents.
- Representing grandparents seeking to become special guardians for children in the face of opposition of their own child.
Hugh has experience of all aspects of these proceedings and regularly deals with case involving Military, NHS and Police pensions.
- Acting for wife where husband had dissipated some joint assets in the time since separation.
- Acting for husband in claim where former high earning wife claimed she was unable to work.
- Acting for husband employed overseas who had significant earnings where wife had an uncertain life expectancy.
Inheritance Act and TOLATA
- Acting for carer of deceased property owner in TOLATA claim against beneficiaries under will.
- Acting for beneficiaries in TOLATA claim against survivor of cohabitants.
- Acting for Estate seeking to get declarations that deceased was the owner of property fraudulently occupied by others.
L (Children) 
EWCA Civ 1137 (27 July 2017)
H (Children) 
EWCA Civ 115 (18 February 2015)
Gillbard v Caradon District Council 
EWHC Admin 2633
Ball v Plymouth City Council 
EWHC 134 QB (04 February 2004)
Hugh has represented a range clients including Local Authorities, RSL’s, SMEs and private individuals in broad spectrum of cases. He has been part of a team of juniors in litigation involving the Channel tunnel and the Coal Authority. Cases have also included actions for misrepresentation against Banks and sellers of property, personal injury and costs.
Housing and Property Disputes
Hugh acts for Social and Private Landlords and tenants dealing with possession, anti-social behaviour and disrepair cases. He has also conducted Homelessness cases for and against Local Authorities
Land and Property
Recent work has included easements, land registration, boundary disputes and disputed conveyances.
Biographical and Other Information
- Appointed Deputy District Judge 2003. Private and Public Law Tickets
- Chancery Bar Association, Family Law Bar Association, Western Circuit
- Provider of training to Local Authorities and NHS
- London School of Psychotherapy and Counselling Mediator 1999.
- Exeter University and Inns of Court School of Law.
Civil Law team members
Year Of Call : 1987
The main focus is in ancillary relief (financial remedies) for husbands, wives and children, especially where there are trust and/or business assets and farms. Mark cuts through volume of paper to the core and critical issues and is focussed and blunt with his clients and the Court alike.View Profile
Year Of Call : 1994
Hugh has extensive experience acting for Local Authorities, parents, grandparents, Guardians and proposed special guardians in care proceedings, including representing young and vulnerable parents, clients with learning difficulties and clients with chronic health firstname.lastname@example.org View Profile
Year Of Call : 2000
Lara has represented both Claimants and Defendants in a variety of matters over the last 18 years. She has also given numerous talks and seminars in civil litigation to CPD providers and assisted in writing civil litigation material for online CPD email@example.com View Profile
Year Of Call : 2004
Barry is an experienced junior, who defends serious criminal cases including violence, sexual offences, dishonesty and drugs. He also prosecutes and defends in regulatory & quasi-criminal firstname.lastname@example.org View Profile
Year Of Call : 2005
Emma is a civil practitioner who accepts instructions from Claimants and Defendants in a variety of civil actions. Her personal injury work is wide-ranging and includes accidents at work, road traffic accidents and public liability email@example.com View Profile
Year Of Call : 2007
Louise has a diverse practice and represents both landlords and tenants, ensuring that she is familiar with the concerns and issues troubling both sides. She regularly deals with possession cases arising out of mortgage repossession claims and allegations of antisocial firstname.lastname@example.org View Profile
Year Of Call : 2010
Felicity is a common law barrister with an established and varied practice in all aspects of criminal and civil law. Felicity is thorough, practical and robust in her approach, whilst remaining email@example.com View Profile
Year Of Call : 2011
Laura is a family barrister with a busy and varied practice acting and advising in public and private law proceedings, applications for injunctive relief and financial remedy proceedings. She is a personable and approachable advocate who prides herself on going the extra mile for her clients. She has studied and worked internationally in France, Brussels, Luxembourg and New Zealand and is a Denning and Eastham Scholar of Lincoln’s Innlaura.firstname.lastname@example.org View Profile